On Air Now: Donna Jean

Vet Student Saves Sick Dog From Being Euthanized by Finding Tick

05/31/2016 at 9:59 | ABC News

After an adorable sheltie named Ollie became paralyzed, he was moments away from being put to sleep when a veterinary student found a tick lodged in his fur – leading to the diagnosis that ultimately saved him and a recovery his owner called “miraculous.”

About a week after 10-year-old Ollie returned home to Portland, Oregon, from a camping trip, his owner Al – who asked that his last name not be used – noticed the usually active dog seemed increasingly lethargic and weak. Ollie’s regular veterinarian conducted tests, including blood work and X-rays, but could not figure out what was wrong with the pup, according to the DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital.

Ollie eventually became almost completely paralyzed and was unable to eat.

On May 4, two weeks after the trip, Al and his family made the difficult decision to put Ollie to sleep, according to the hospital.

Read More

Tags: , , ,